With everything going on in the world right now, I just wanted to hit pause and remind you that there’s a lot of good out there too that we don’t hear about!
- Researchers at the University of Bath in Britain have developed a new and simple method for recycling plastic waste at room temperature! They hope the new process will help recycling become less energy intensive, and thus more economically viable. This new rapid chemical recycling process for polycarbonates can be completed in just 20 minutes at room temperature. Read more: https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/upcycling-plastic-waste-into-more-valuable-materials-could-make-recycling-pay-for-itself/
- A new study has found that cats and dogs may protect owners from memory loss later in their life! “Prior studies have suggested that the human-animal bond may have health benefits like decreasing blood pressure and stress,” said study author Tiffany Braley of the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor. “Our results suggest pet ownership may also be protective against cognitive decline.” Read more: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/cats-and-dogs-may-protect-owners-from-memory-loss-in-later-life-study-finds/
- A city in Germany has started saving tons of goods from the landfills! Stilbruch is called the “IKEA of used goods,” and every day items are dropped off from donations or from trash collectors on their routes. These items get cleaned up, repaired, and re-sold to support a more circular economy in the country’s second-largest city. They went from having 1 full-time employee to 70! “Used is the new sexy… We are trying to stop throwaway culture and wastefulness. There’s so much value in what we treat like trash.” Read more: https://theprogressnetwork.org/stilbruch/
- Students from five Chicago High Schools were surprised with all expenses paid, free college! Not only are these freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors getting the free ride, but one of their parents is too! The scholarship program is being launched by Hope Chicago, the nonprofit led by former Chicago Public Schools CEO Dr. Janice Jackson. Read more: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/kids-at-5-chicago-high-schools-get-free-college-ride/
- A church in England was facing a $56,000 bill to fix a clock outside the church that hadn’t worked in over a decade, so a 47 year old Cheesemaker and a 15 year old student decided to try tackling it themselves. “We found various dead pigeons gumming up the bearings. Some of the bearings were very dry. We gave it grease and WD-40 and managed to get it running,” Haywood told The Sun. What could have been an extremely costly bill for the church turned out to be an easy fix thanks to some WD-40! Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17762819/broken-church-clock-oil/
📧 What do you think?
📣 Recent Discussions
- Feel Good Friday – 12/02/22Here are some feel-good, positive news stories that you may have missed this week! New…
- What should she do about her tattoo?“I’ll be flying out to see my family for Christmas and it’s the first time…
- How can he make up for his drunk calls?“My bartender friend came over for my 25th birthday and made my drinks stronger than…