I want to try something new this week. To balance out the negativity you find on the news and social media, I want to share some good news stories either here locally or nationally, and I want to hear of the good things happening in your life too! Send me a message below with something good that happened to you this week, or something that you’re excited for next week!
Albany High Wigs
From The Times Union: Every year, Albany High School students make wigs in their cosmetology course that are given out for free during Breast Cancer Awareness month.
Now that they have a brand new salon in the renovated high school, they’re hoping to get enough donations to run the wig program all year and expand to help children as well!
Students gathered Wednesday morning to hand-make a wig for the mother of two high school students. They spent almost an hour creating the wig strand by strand using real hair to fit perfectly on the mother’s head. By the end she was smiling and posing for selfies with her team of student hairdressers.
EV Battery Advancement
From Good News Network: Regardless of how you feel about electric cars, this is huge! A breakthrough has happened in electric vehicle fast charging battery design at Penn State University that enables a 10-minute charge time for a typical EV battery. Penn State’s college-based startup EC Power says, “The smaller, faster-charging batteries will dramatically cut down battery cost and usage of critical raw materials such as cobalt, graphite and lithium, enabling mass adoption of affordable electric cars.” Two of the biggest criticisms of electric cars are the charging times and the use of limited raw minerals, so these are huge steps forward!
Veteran Suicides Drop Sharply
From Good News Network: There’s been a significant drop in the rates of suicides among active military members from early 2021 until now. The declines come as a result of increased attention to mental health issues among high ranking officers and the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Across our military branches, the decline has ranged from 10-30%. For this, PBS reports, the services have been increasingly taking advantage of military chaplains, health and fitness coaches, and other support staff to support suicide prevention and mental health care programs.
On top of that, the Pentagon is working on filling a new force of 2,000 mental healthcare workers and to help continue to get rid of the stigma that some feel asking for help.
Rooftop CO2 Ventilators Convert Fumes into Fertilizer
From Good News Network: Scientists at Boston University created new technology that turned carbon dioxide pumped from building air vents into fertilizer to improve plant-growing conditions for rooftop plant-life. Not only does this reduce carbon dioxide emissions, but the spinach grown in the tests grew four-times larger than without the help. This could be a great way of growing and providing more fresh foods within cities. Rooftop farms and gardens are often suggested as ways to improve air quality, but conditions are challenging as plants are often smaller and less healthy because of solar radiation, wind, and drier soil.
🎧 Listen live today at 4PM or later on the Podcast!
📧 What do you think?
📣 Recent Discussions
- Should they let her move in?LISTEN: His son wants his girlfriend to move in with them as her parents are moving to the west coast.
- Should he cancel the subscriptions?LISTEN: His wife subscribes to many streaming services that she doesn’t watch.
- Should she be worried about being replaced?LISTEN: Her company just hired another person to ‘help’ her with her position…
- Is it okay to have a child-free wedding?LISTEN: This woman would like to have a child-free wedding, but her friend thinks that’s impolite.
- Should she tell her husband what happened?LISTEN: Her brother in law tried to kiss her. Should she say something or leave it alone?
- How can they get him to wear a jacket?LISTEN: Their 11 year old son refuses to wear a jacket despite the cold weather.
- What should she do about the ‘hideous’ ring?LISTEN: She told her fiancé that she wasn’t a fan of his ring and he was offended.
- How can I find out whose it was and apologize?LISTEN: I took someone else’s chili from the fridge and need to find out whose it was!
- What should they do about this employee?LISTEN: Clients love this employee, but he’s being difficult in the office.
- Does he need to end the friendship?LISTEN: He and his best friend used to date in high school and his current girlfriend is uncomfortable with it.
- Is not having social media a red flag?LISTEN: Her new boyfriend claims he’s not on any social media. Is that a red flag?
- How much should she charge her boyfriend?LISTEN: This woman wants to ask her boyfriend to move in, but he would pay more than he does now.
- How can he modernize their workplace?LISTEN: His workplace is stuck in the past and people are resisting change. What can he do?
- Do you know of a couple “living apart together”?LISTEN: Many married couples are now living alone. Is it a good idea?
- Can they control where she lives?LISTEN: Their daughter will be a Junior in college and wants to move into an apartment with two guys.
- What’s important in a dating profile?LISTEN: What should you focus on when you’re putting together your dating profile?
- His fiancé doesn’t want wedding photos…LISTEN: His fiancé doesn’t want photos at their wedding. What should they do?
- Should they let him play sports?LISTEN: Their son’s grades are slipping. Should they let him keep playing sports?
- Her husband has been tracking her…LISTEN: Her husband has been tracking her location for years. What should she do?
- How can she become comfortable being single?LISTEN: How can you stop being a ‘serial monogamist’ and be happy alone?